Thursday, November 13, 2014

Field Trip Reflection

          Yesterday, November 12, 2014 we took a field trip to The Museum of the City of New York specifically to see the Taking a Stand Exhibit. Whilst exploring the exhibit I found that the topic that stood out to me was about the fight for feminism. This part of the exhibit was about the fight for women to have the same rights as men do. From this part of the exhibit I learned about the history behind feminism and the big movement women went on for equal rights.

          I originally did not know very much about the fight for feminism and had not really researched the topic or been taught much about it. I just kind of knew the basic facts, not too in depth. From this part of the exhibit I learned a lot more in depth details about the fight for feminism and was given a more descriptive summary which gave me a much better understanding of the topic/movement. One new thing that I learned was some of the important people that helped with the movement such as Carrie Chapman Catty, Rosalie Jones, and Harriet Stanton Batch whom provided strategies for mass organizing and publicity. Another thing I learned was that reason the demonstrations took place in New York because New York being the media capital could easily attract a national audience to watch these demonstrations. The part of this part of the exhibit about the fight for feminism that I found the most interesting was all of the artifacts they had from the movement/time period on display. I liked this because I could really examine something up close instead of just a black and white photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment